Women’s Wellness for Life
Healthy Woman Before, During and Between Pregnancies is our vision for all women whether they are planning to become pregnant, not thinking about becoming pregnant, or on the fence about pregnancy and parenting. Taking steps to get healthy and stay healthy is a good choice for every woman, and a bonus if and when a pregnancy occurs, that helps to ensure a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby!
More than half of all pregnancies are unplanned. Are you thinking about becoming pregnant in the next year? Yes? No? Maybe? Whichever way you answer MAKE A PLAN: MAP IT!
MAKE A PLAN: MAP IT is a tool you can use to decide if and when to become pregnant, AND how to stay healthy no matter your feelings about pregnancy. Download our printer-friendly version to create your own personal road map to optimal wellness: physical, emotional, financial, and spiritual.
Community Health Workers (CHWs)
MiSN CHWs are trusted peers in your community who receive special training about women’s and infant health topics. They serve women from ages 14 to 48. CHWs can get you connected to services and resources, education, informal counseling, social support and advocacy when you need a helping hand.
MiSN Community Health Workers know things can be hard. They want to make it easy for you to:
- Get Medicaid or Affordable Health Insurance
- Find a medical provider for your health needs
- Find dental care
- Plan your births and obtain birth control
- Find free pregnancy and STD testing
- Provide a safe sleeping environment for your baby
- Breastfeed your baby successfully
- Create a Life Plan – Using “Make A Plan – MAP IT!”
- Stop smoking
- Get help for addiction
- Eat right,
- Reduce stress and
- Maintain healthy relationships
Prenatal and Childbirth Education
Now that you are pregnant you will want to take great care of yourself and your unborn child. Our classes cover what you need to know and do for optimal health and wellness for each of the 3 trimesters of pregnancy and the 4th trimester, after the baby is born.
ACTION: Check here for online calendar for class locations and times
ACTION: Call MiSN to determine if you are eligible for sliding scale class fees or scholarships
Did you know that:
- A full term pregnancy lasts from 39 to 41 weeks?
- Babies born before that, from 37 to 39 weeks gestation, are “preterm?”
- And babies that are born sooner than that and are considered very preterm may need to stay in the hospital for weeks or months after birth?
Learn the risk factors for preterm birth and what you can do to prevent it!
Donate to our Security Blanket Fund
Your $95.00 donation will provide funding for one young family who is otherwise financially unable to access this important education to ensure a better birth outcome for a new mom and her baby!